Short-Term Substitute License Information


*must have 60 semester hours of college coursework (bachelor's degree is not required)

A Short Term Substitute License (STS) may be issued to anyone who holds an Associate’s Degree, or who has completed 60 semester hours of coursework from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.

  • Valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools, prekindergarten through grade 12.

  • Available for application through June 30, 2028.

  • Short-term Substitute Licenses are valid for 5 years.

  • Cannot teach more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher in the same school year unless the state has a declared a disaster proclamation in which the short-term substitute may serve 15 consecutive days per licensed teacher in the same school year.

  • Must complete a training program provided by the school board.​

  • Can​ serve as a Paraprofessional​.

  • Coursework must be at the 100-level or higher fro​m a regionally accredited college or university.

  • How to Become a Substitute Teacher?

Steps to Get a Short-Term Substitute License

Download a Substitute and Paraprofessional License Checklist here.

  1. Individuals applying for a Short-Term Substitute License must use ELIS on the Illinois State Board of Education website, At the top of the page, click on Log Into ELIS. In the Educator Access box, click on “Log in to your ELIS account.” On the next page, on the left-hand side, click on “Click Here For First Time Access To The ELIS System.” 

  2.  On your Homepage, under your Action Center Box, click on “Apply for a Credential.” Click on Short-Term Substitute License (STS). Continue the wizard. You will pay a $25 application feeplus a service fee** with a credit or debit card. 

  3. Official, sealed transcripts from a regionally accredited institution of higher education may be mailed to the ROE at 3358 Big Pine Trail, Champaign, IL 61822, or the university may e-mail transcripts to Jenn Diercks - *Educators with degrees from outside of the United States will need to submit an official Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the name on your transcripts is different from the name on your ELIS account, ISBE will need you to submit the Licensure Update Request Form along with documentation of the name change. This form and documentation can be emailed to Jenn Diercks to be added to your ELIS account.

  4. Once the Short-Term Substitute License is issued, you will have to log back in to your ELIS account to register your license. There is no fee to register. Register in Region 09 Champaign-Ford.

Click Here to start the Substitute Authorization process

Substitute License Fee Refund Request Form

Please find the 73-02 Substitute License Fee Refund Request Form here on the ISBE website. It is under the tab for General Licensure Forms. Please follow the instructions on the form.